Friday, October 26, 2007

Not Offside!!

"I'm blind, I'm deaf - I wanna be a ref!!", was a chant that went up around Lang Park, (aka Suncorp Stadium), during A-League Version One. Well I wear glasses for reading, my kids say I'm deaf and I am a ref. Our two sons are refs, but one pulled out a couple of years ago. Why? He was sick of the abuse from the sideline. Was he a lousy ref? Not from what I saw. He blew the whistle fairly and consistently for both teams on the field. Spectators with little or no understanding of the laws of the game simply destroy the game by burning out young officials. Common to virtually all sports I know.

At the same time - no one is perfect. It is said that refs may make mistakes, but they are never wrong! So I'd like to set up a blog, with a positive focus, to discuss the impact of refs on the game. I have been caught up by the hype and bias at A-League games, only to go home and watch a replay and realise that this call or that call was in fact correct. So let's see where this goes, but please - no emotive comments like, "The ref was crap!"

4 comments:

john said...

the only thing that Ben Williams did wrong last night was give Perth 5 minutes at the end. No way was it 5. They scored in the 3rd. If they only had 3 they wouldn't have got there.

But then it did save Ron Smith. He needed something to go his way.

Hamish Alcorn said...

Excellent news Whistler. I'll be following you avidly - I reckon there's a real niche there to fill. And I'll try to keep my comments circumspect, but, um... expect some emotive stuff from around the traps I reckon.

Cecilia said...

wOOt! This may become my new favourite blog! :) Well done for having the initiative to actually do something!

Whistler said...

Thanks guys - hey john, I couldn't see where the extra five minutes came from either, but I wonder if Perth fans think the Roar's first goal came in unfair extra time in the first half? Yea hamish, there's bound to be the emotive stuff - 90 minutes: 90 emotions, and our row in aisle 301 goes through them all at every home game!!